Gynecomastia Surgery (Male Breast Reduction) in Houston, TX
What is Gynecomastia?
The condition of enlarged male breasts, also known as gynecomastia, affects 40 to 60 percent of all men. This condition can cause discomfort as well as low self-confidence for men of all ages. It can be caused by a hormonal imbalance, certain medications, genetics, being overweight, aging. Gynecomastia surgery done by Dr. Chris Patronella in Houston is the ideal solution for this condition when all preventable causes have been ruled out.
- Either intravenous sedation or general anesthesia is used during gynecomastia surgery.
- When excess fat is the main concern, liposuction alone can be performed. Liposuction involves a thin, hollow tube called a cannula inserted into the treatment area. Dr. Patronella moves the cannula back and forth while vacuum suction removes the fat from this area permanently. Once all the fat is removed, the small incisions are closed with sutures.
- When excess tissue is present or when the breasts are significantly sagging or large, excision techniques will achieve the best results. Excess fat and glandular breast tissue are removed, and excess skin is trimmed away. If the patient wishes to reduce the size of the areolas, Dr. Patronella can excise excess tissue from around the outer areola edge.
- The results of gynecomastia surgery are can be permanent, and the rate of success with this procedure is high. Many patients find that their quality of life significantly improves with the confidence they gain as a result of their more masculine physique.
- Gynecomastia can return if it is caused by certain medications or steroid use, so it is important to rule these causes out prior to considering surgery.
Combining Other Body Rejuvenation Procedures
Patients can save time in recovery and in the operating room by combining two or more procedures into one surgery. Patients also end up saving money by choosing to have multiple procedures at once as opposed to each procedure performed separately. You can discuss the desires you have during your initial consultation with Dr. Patronella in Houston to determine if you are a candidate for combination surgery. Some procedures that are commonly undergone with gynecomastia surgery include:
- Ab Sculpting (defines six-pack muscles)
- Pectoral Sculpting
- Tummy Tuck Surgery
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there scarring associated with gynecomastia surgery?
The procedure typically requires a very small incision on each breast to remove the excess tissue and will, therefore, result in a very small scar that fades with time. Patients who need to have skin excised will have a short scar that will follow the natural curves of the chest and will be difficult to detect.
What is recovery from gynecomastia surgery like?
After surgery, your chest will be wrapped in a bandage, and you may be encouraged to wear a compression garment to reduce swelling. Most men can return to work in three to four days, but heavy lifting and exercise should be avoided for two to three weeks.
Can teenage boys get gynecomastia surgery?
Yes, teenage boys may be eligible candidates for gynecomastia surgery. Gynecomastia is fairly common in boys as young as 10 years of age and has a peak onset between ages 13 and 14. It often subsides in the later teen years, but there is no way to determine whether it will subside on its own. The decision to pursue surgery is a delicate one. In some cases, the social distress that the condition causes makes gynecomastia surgery the best choice for the teenager. Dr. Patronella can discuss the procedure with you further to help weigh the pros and cons against your desired outcome.