The condition of enlarged male breasts, also known as gynecomastia, affects 40 to 60 percent of all men. This condition can cause discomfort as well as low self-confidence for men of all ages. It can be caused by a hormonal imbalance, certain medications, genetics, being overweight, aging. Gynecomastia surgery is the ideal solution for this condition when all preventable causes have been ruled out.
Benefits Of Gynecomastia Surgery
- Provides a flatter, more masculine chest
- Reduces the size of one or both male breasts
- Can achieve slight or significant breast reduction
THE GYNECOMASTIA SURGERY PROCEDURE
- Either intravenous sedation or general anesthesia is used during gynecomastia surgery.
- When excess fat is the main concern, liposuction alone can be performed. Liposuction involves a thin, hollow tube called a cannula inserted into the treatment area. Dr. Patronella moves the cannula back and forth while vacuum suction removes the fat from this area permanently. Once all the fat is removed, the small incisions are closed with sutures.
- When excess tissue is present or when the breasts are significantly sagging or large, excision techniques will achieve the best results. Excess fat and glandular breast tissue are removed, and excess skin is trimmed away. If the patient wishes to reduce the size of the areolas, Dr. Patronella can excise excess tissue from around the outer areola edge.
- The results of gynecomastia surgery are can be permanent, and the rate of success with this procedure is high. Many patients find that their quality of life significantly improves with the confidence they gain as a result of their more masculine physique.
- Gynecomastia can return if it is caused by certain medications or steroid use, so it is important to rule these causes out prior to considering surgery.
Combining Other Body Rejuvenation Procedures
Patients can save time in recovery and in the operating room by combining two or more procedures into one surgery. Patients also end up saving money by choosing to have multiple procedures at once as opposed to each procedure performed separately. You can discuss the desires you have during your initial consultation with Dr. Patronella to determine if you are a candidate for combination surgery. Some procedures that are commonly undergone with gynecomastia surgery include:
- Ab Sculpting (defines six-pack muscles)
- Pectoral Sculpting
- Tummy Tuck Surgery